Friday, June 11, 2010

It's A ____! {Gender Reveal Party}

Not only am I blessed with the most amazing family, but I also have some pretty amazing friends. Carl and I both are truly blessed in life. My best friend (we've known each other since we were Brownies!) Ashley, fell in love with one of Carl's best friends, Alan. Both couples have been together since high school and double dates were just about the norm. The four of us have seen each other through ups, downs, engagements, weddings, and babies! Ashley and I often think alike, even at the same time, we joke about being separated at birth or something. Well, to our delight, Ashley and Alan are expecting Baby #2.

Of course, since I delight in planning parties I offered to plan and host a Gender Reveal Party for our best friends. I think the idea is a wonderful way to share the news with close friends and family, and a great way to capture the excitement of a new addition to the family. The first child is always such a celebration, and sometimes second, third, fourth, etc. children don't get quite the fanfare. Shortly before the Miami trip I created handmade invitations to mail out to family. I just picked a really cute card (an 8-pack from the Dollar Store!) and then printed my own details for the wording inside and out. They turned out adorable, and set the mood for an informal, summer-y party.





I also made these cute tissue paper poms to decorate with. I wanted things to be bright and colorful, so I made some of pinks, blues, greens, and yellows to hang from our chandelier. They look complicated, but were incredibly easy. I have so many ideas for future decorations with this inexpensive idea. The best website instructions I found were thanks to Martha Stewart. For instructions on how to make your own beautiful creations (perfect for any party, just theme your colors appropriately!), here's the link: http://www.marthastewartweddings.com/article/pom-poms-and-luminarias



I also made a little board for everyone to vote boy or girl...this will be turned into a keepsake for our friends too. We took everyone's picture and I will then attach the pictures to the board. This way they will always know who voted boy and who voted girl. It was a neat little addition to the decor, as well as a cute little sentiment.



For me, parties often revolve around the food. We planned a light cookout, with burgers and hot dogs and all the fixin's. I also had some favorite snacks on hand, like popcorn, chips, veggies, and fruit. My favorite food was the cupcakes. I iced 24 cupcakes in bright colors, and then piped little question marks in white on top. They were adorable and made for a delightful (and delicious) centerpiece!





Ashley and Alan went for the tell-all ultrasound the morning of the party. Prior to the appointment, Ashley wrapped a shoebox with pink and blue paper. Then, she created two beautiful cards, one that said "It's a Girl" and one that said "It's a Boy". She took the cards and a green envelope to her appointment. She asked the technician to leave the room and place the correct card in the envelope, and seal it. The other card was to be thrown away. Once home, Ashley put the envelope in the box and off to Morgantown they came!

Once at the party everyone discussed what the box contained...we ate and relaxed, but you could tell we were on pins and needles waiting to find out! When the moment came, everyone gathered around. Ashley and Alan opened the box together with Alana (Baby #1). The results - It's A Girl! Another lovely daughter! Everyone was thrilled to hear the news (even though the majority thought it was a boy!). Enjoy the pictures of reactions below....:0)





1 comment:

  1. Everything is really well managed. Cool enough to get votes from all guests and finally declaring for the person who won. Same will be done for my brother and wife also. Will book one of the best LA venue for lovely couple's great precious moments. Dinner with cup cakes and of course a big designer cake will be ordered. Party favors and décor will be personally done by me.

    ReplyDelete