Wednesday, March 6, 2013

Leprechaun Trap!

As the snow continues to curse irritate us, I have been attempting to "Think Spring" in whatever way possible. The day after Luke's party, I put all the winter decorations away and got the Easter ones out. I even made a cute little Easter egg bouquet for on top of the piano.



I'm working on creating a cupcake liner wreath - so far it looks beautiful! I just need a little more time (when I'm not already exhausted) to finish it up. I really love seeing all the pastels and bright colors. I am SO tired of the whites and browns and evergreens of winter!

I have also tried to get into the spirit of St. Patrick's Day this year. It is the first time Savannah can really enjoy any silly traditions, and since it's on a Sunday, we can make the most of all the "green" fun. One tradition I have started this year is really a unique memory from my past. One year, probably during my elementary school years, I made a Leprechaun Trap. I don't really remember the trap all that much, but I do remember playing in my closet and hiding things...and getting chocolate gold coins. I haven't thought about that since...well...ever since I was a child. Then on one of my many "browsing" times on Pinterest I saw a pin about a Leprechaun Trap. I suddenly decided St. Patrick's Day was going to be celebrated at our house!!

So Savannah and I have now made our Leprechaun Trap. She is extremely excited to try to catch a Leprechaun - and even more excited about the idea that he might leave us some gold chocolate coins! The best part of our trap? It didn't cost us a penny! I took a cardboard box (in our case, a Capri Sun box) and painted it with green craft paint....Savannah loved that part! Then we took green tissue paper (saved from our stash that we recover from birthday presents) and stuffed it inside (so the Leprechaun will be comfy!). I found some patterned green scrapbook paper (in my scrap bin) and used a flower type punch to create little "clovers" that we glued to the top. I used some gold glittery paper (again out of the scrap bin) and punched out the shape of butterflies. The last step was to cut some green ribbon (leftover from Luke's highchair tray ribbons) to add on the front. It turned out really cute and Savannah had so much fun making it. She was SO proud of it when she showed it to Carl...and so excited about what it was for! Definitely a tradition to keep...I can't wait until both kids get creative and imaginative enough to build actual working traps - I can totally see Carl going ALL out for a contraption!







No comments:

Post a Comment