Monday, March 4, 2013

The Cat in the Party Hat - Luke Turns ONE!

My little boy is one year old! I am happy to say that we did learn from Savannah's first birthday, and this time around there were no tears (at least none from any kids!). Luke had an amazing day. He woke up pretty early and was in a great mood. We did all the decorating after he went to bed on Friday, so when he woke up and we took him downstairs he got to enjoy the birthday atmosphere right away. He loved the balloons and all the colorful things. He just kept looking around and pointing at things. I think the balloons were probably his favorite though. He likes to pull on the strings and then watch the balloon go back up. I know they were expensive (Carl doesn't even want to know how much I spent on balloons!) but they were worth it!

He ate a good breakfast and got in lots of playtime with Grandma and Grandpa while Carl and I finished up food prep and all outside decorations. I had planned for the whole family to wear Dr. Seuss shirts, but Totsy didn't deliver the kids' shirts in time. I ordered them February 3rd and they still aren't here. I realize they have some kind of crazy method of doing business, but they were rude and not at all helpful when I called last week. Never, ever doing business with them again. I would much rather spend a little extra money and have the items when I need them. It turned out okay though - I had bought Luke a Cat in the Hat onesie a few months ago at a thrift store. At that point I had purchased the biggest size they had. In January I tried it on him and it was tight through the belly, thus I ordered from Totsy. Well, since Totsy fell through, I decided he could just wear a tight fitting onesie for his party and if it got cake and icing all over it, no big deal (I only paid $3 for it at the thrift store anyway.). Well, I guess he has gotten taller, or slimmed down with all his walking, because it fit perfectly on his birthday! So Carl and I had a shirt, Luke had a onesie, but unfortunately Savannah didn't have anything Dr. Seuss...so we put her in her "Brother for Sale" shirt (which I thought was cute on her brother's birthday anyway).

Prior to the party day, I had worried about Savannah's behavior on Luke's big day. I was worried she would either be jealous or clingy. She hasn't shown a lot of jealousy in the first year with Luke, but there's nothing like a birthday party to bring that out! I figured if she wasn't jealous, she'd be clingy and want Carl or I to hold her to entire time since we would have a lot of people in the house. So as usual, Savannah surprised me. She was excited before the party and kept hugging Luke and telling him "Happy Birthday Big Boy!". Then, when one of the families arrived (who happens to have a 4.5 year old), she was content to play in her room with her friend. She played in her room some, played in the party room some, and generally behaved. We had no trouble from her - no tears, no fighting, no jealousy. When it was time to sing to Luke and for him to blow out the candles, she helped. She was just an amazing big sister. I am so proud of her.

Luke adored being sang to, loved the candle, and really, really loved the cake. As soon as Carl put Luke's cake on his highchair tray, Luke put his hands in it. Once he discovered the icing was sweet, he suckled his cake. He just kept his mouth on it and licked. He loved it. He was even hugging it by the time he was done...it was a delight to watch him even his cake and birthday. He loved opening presents, eating, playing...he loved it all. I think birthdays are going to be incredibly fun from here on out. Luke loves them and Savannah is getting used to the attention when it's her turn.

The evening of Luke's birthday I teared up a little...it is just sad to think this is the end of Luke being a baby...my last baby. I had a few questions about a third...and Carl was cornered once too...but we just have future plans that might be really difficult with a third child....and we are ready to step into the traveling world with our kids. We want to provide a certain life for both of them...and that might be tough with another. Plus another pregnancy isn't really desirable for me. I worried the entire time with Luke...and it wasn't fun going through the trials of getting to Luke's pregnancy. I jokingly said I would take another baby without the pregnancy and Carl said his company helps with adoption costs...so maybe that will be an option in 10-15 years. Maybe we will adopt. Maybe we will adopt an older child...someone who needs us. A child that feels like hope is lost because of his/her age...who knows. I do know I'm very happy and in love with my two kiddos...and after seeing them get their spring/birthday photos together on Sunday, I am in love with their adorableness too!

Here are some special pictures from Luke's big day...

Luke's invitation was a little book:



A Birthday Book for our guests to leave Luke a birthday message:



The yummy Dr. Seuss themed food:



The cake, cupcakes, and sweets:



The decorations:







Let There Be Cake!









Family LOVE!




No comments:

Post a Comment