Monday, February 25, 2013

Spring Holiday Love

Okay - so in an effort to try to momentarily forget that Luke is going to be one (!!) in 5 (!!) days, I have been thinking a lot about the next 6 weeks of fun. Although I love fall and its beauty, and I love the magic of Christmas, I just think the spring holidays have won my heart. I hate overly dislike winter. The colors of white, brown, and pine green (thankful at least for those pine trees!) are probably my least favorite. The cold snowy weather makes leaving the house difficult at times. Dragging kids out in the weather is even worse with the coats and car seats and getting in and getting out...it just is not my idea of fun at all. So not only are spring holidays fun, but they are a welcome sign of the life and color returning to our region.

This year St. Patrick's Day is on a Sunday...and on a weekend we aren't busy. So I'm going to go back to something fun I did as a child - Savannah and I are going to make a Leprechaun trap! I saw a pin on Pinterest the other day that reminded me of the fun of this little contraption. Savannah loves chocolate, so the possibility of finding chocolate coins in the trap on St. Patty's Day morning is more than enough to get her interested in building such a thing. She loves to paint and craft, so I think on the 16th we'll have a ton of fun turning a shoe box into a nifty trap. Of course there's all the fun of wearing green on St. Patty's Day. And green food - lots of green food! I'm going to make Thin Mint Truffles (again - Pinterest!) and maybe some sherbet and sprite special drinks...I just think it will be fun to celebrate a silly holiday with the family.

Then probably a holiday that has stealthily found its way into my top three favorite holidays recently - Easter! As I've mentioned once or twice before, our family is finally not busy the weekend of Easter. Our church usually hosts an egg hunt and luncheon on the Saturday before Easter. This year I'm on the education committee, and we met last night to discuss the hunt and our plans for VBS (I am the resident craft leader!). Instead of the traditional egg hunt, we are going to offer a little bit more to the kids in attendance. All kids will make a bucket to collect eggs in (think pastel colored sand pail for the beach, with Christian foam stickers attached) and get to find lots of hidden eggs with goodies inside. In addition, they will make a craft (that's where I come in), listen to a Bible story, sing a few songs, and then get lunch. I think it is a great way to reconnect with the kids that have been home bound all winter - and to get the kids excited for the upcoming summer VBS. I am not sure yet what kind of craft I will do with the kids...but I do have a few ideas I'm going to run by the committee next week. I think Easter weekend will be really fun...I will prep crafts on Good Friday...then on the 30th we will take the kids to the church for all the events...then when Luke is getting in his afternoon nap, Savannah and I will make the bunny cake for Easter Dinner. We used to have this cake every Easter at my house and I think Savannah will have a blast helping me create it for our family.

The next week we will celebrate Savannah's birthday...I need to get started on creating decorations for her party. I've made the first of 10 invites...and the others just need assembled. I have lists of supplies needed, as well as a few other things done...I will be working diligently on plans next week.

Aside from the excitement of spring arriving soon (3 weeks from Wednesday!) and all the beautiful colors to expect, we did enjoy one facet of winter this past weekend. We took the family to the mall for the annual health fair. Luke was just under the age limit to participate in the baby crawl. (Kids had to be 6 months to 1 year.) We did this with Savannah and she won third place overall...so we figured we'd take Luke and see what happened. He was number 27 of 28 babies, so his first heat was the last of the preliminaries. We watched all the other babies and Carl held onto Luke. He was squirming the entire time - he just wanted down. So when it was finally our turn to go, he was really, really ready to be put down. Savannah and I waited across the finish line to "coach" him over to us and Carl held him at the starting line. When they counted down and announced "Three, two, one, crawl" Luke was off as soon as Carl let go. He sped halfway across the crawling space then kind of stopped and looked around at everyone. None of the other babies in his heat had moved at all. Then Luke saw Savannah and I acting all silly and dashed off to us. He easily crossed the finish line. Honestly, I think the other 5 babies in his heat had maybe moved 3 feet from their starting line. I gave Luke a kiss and turned to give Savannah a hug for being such a good coach and Luke turned around and crawled back to Carl...all before any of the other babies had even made it halfway going the right direction! He was just grinning and giggling the whole time. He is such a ham! Since we were in the last heat, it was right back to the crawling mat to compete for grand champion crawler. Again, Savannah and I waved a bunch at Luke and got him excited...as soon as they said "crawl" he was off. He paused a little in the middle...but then dashed for us again. He easily won first place. He is our crawling champion! In the end, he made out with some great prizes too. He won a stuffed dog, three rubber duckies, a book, a set of sippy cups, a box of wipes, some pedilite juice boxes, a bottle, and a VTech Sit-to-Stand Activity Walker. So we gave Savannah the stuffed dog - it was her reward for being such a good sport about all the attention on Luke and helping coach him to us. (She was so proud of her brother - never once did she pout about him being the center of attention - and she didn't know she was getting prizes, she thought they were all for Luke.) The walker is actually one we'd bought at a consignment sale last fall, so we took it back to Walmart ($30!) and bought him something else. In the end the prizes were nice, but it was just so fun to watch him. He loved every last second of it all. Both my kids made me proud that day...I love being their mom!

No comments:

Post a Comment