Thursday, February 21, 2013

First Birthday on the Horizon

Now that I can finally check the weather forecast for Luke's big party day it has really hit me that he will be one year old in just 9 short days!!

I have been doing a million things to prepare the house and the family for his big day. I've even been prepping the birthday boy! We sing to him a lot now - and even show him a candle (#6!). We sing in crazy loud voices and he just giggles and smiles. He has even learned how to blow out a candle - although he may decide he doesn't want to do it on his actual birthday. I have been decluttering and putting our birthday decorations, food prep, plate prep...as much as I can do ahead of time. I have a list of all the things that need done (and when!). I have to make cupcakes, a Cat in the Hat - hat cake, cakepops (plain belly sneetches and star belly sneetches)...all of that needs to be planned and made ahead of the actual morning of his big day.

While all the party planning is pretty much my normal crazy self, the whole singing and candle prep is something new. I was telling a good friend about it, and she teasingly said I'm try to make sure he has the perfect birthday photos and want things to run smoothly...while I totally can see her point, that isn't at all why I'm doing it.

As you may recall, Savannah's 1st Birthday was adorable and fun, but she cried a lot. Especially when we sang to her. I felt horrible. I felt like her day had been ruined by my attempts to throw her a big bash. So I learned. Luke's party won't be nearly so crowded...only our closest friends and family. We also are preparing him for the noise. I want him to be happy - it has nothing to do with photos. Honestly, the pictures of Savannah crying are so funny and cute now...so it really, really has nothing to do with that. I just want him to enjoy the day as much as he deserves to. I'm sure I will completely go photo crazy too - documenting every last detail - but not for my sake. There's no way he'll remember this party...but one day, when he's older, he will realize how much time I put into celebrating his first year of life. He will be able to see how much we love him and how happy we are that he is a part of our lives. So yes, I may go crazy with the camera, but not for myself.

Luke is growing into a toddler faster than I thought possibly...9 more days....he is already walking around the basement, climbing on the couch, and this week gave up his bedtime bottle...next week it's on to sippy cups...he is losing his baby qualities...

No comments:

Post a Comment