Tuesday, October 2, 2012

What to Expect (When You're Expecting)

No. I am NOT pregnant. Unless God suddenly decides we need a third little one running around, I will not be pregnant again. I am quite content with my two adorable little miracles.

Before reading on, if you haven't seen the movie "What to Expect When You're Expecting" and you want to see it and you don't want any part of it ruined or given away...you should hold off on reading this post until you have done so.

Carl and I had a movie night about 2 weeks ago (I know - it has been forever a while since I've posted. My life is crazy. Especially in September. So we had a movie night and I had really wanted to see the movie "What to Expect When You're Expecting". I thought the previews looked funny, and any show or movie that involves men and parenting kids always makes me laugh. So we rented it, got the kids in bed, picked out movie snacks, and snuggled in on the couch.

I want to say - great movie. I love the way they looked at so many different pregnancies and relationships and just how babies arrive in so many different ways. I love it. One of the pregnancies that was "followed" ended in miscarriage. I was so surprised at my reaction...I guess it should have been expected, but I was totally not expecting the tears that flowed so freely.

I think I must have been living in this post-baby bubble of joy with Luke that I had almost forgotten my miscarriages. I don't think it was ever really forgotten, but pushed to the back of my mind. Luke allowed me to see joy and be excited about a baby...I know I thought about it every so often, but it didn't really hit me so hard until I saw that movie.

I began thinking about how much Luke is growing and changing. His personality is really starting to shine through. He is such a flirt!! He will smile and grin and "talk" to anyone who smiles at him...and sometimes he doesn't need a smile, he'll just smile at you! He is most always happy (unless he's tired, hungry, or teething). He is learning to eat with his fingers, and he is crawling (!!!). Savannah didn't teethe or crawl until 9 months...and Luke started crawling a week ago...today he is 7 months old (!!!).

So while watching Luke achieve and bypass milestones it has really brought some unexpected feelings to the surface. I can't help but wonder about my other two children and what they would look like and be doing right now. When Carl's dad died, I had some solace in knowing that they were in heaven with Pap Pap - at least they aren't alone. It just has been rough recently. Unexpected.

No comments:

Post a Comment