Tuesday, October 23, 2012

Childish Excitement!

Yesterday Carl and I did something we haven't done in over 5 years - we booked a vacation!! A tried-and-true, no-visiting-family, not-for-educational-purposes, not-for-work, vacation!! And here's the kicker: we aren't taking the kids!

So our decision all started on Friday. I got an email from Disney Cruise Line (as I have just about every week since our ah-may-zing honeymoon in 2007) touting the latest new deal, port, ship, etc. from the DCL offerings. I of course drooled over the cruises...but then noticed an interesting deal. So I looked into it. On Saturday, I brought the topic up to Carl. He, of course, immediately thought it would be a great idea. I was still undecided. I cannot describe my love of our honeymoon trip...magical doesn't even cover it! I truly have cried at the thought of going back. So what was holding me back? The kids.

I love, love, love my kids (as evidence shows in previous posts!). But a cruise? For a not-yet-one-year-old inquisitive little boy? For a almost 4 year old little girl that will not leave my side at gymnastics (even though we have gone every Tuesday for weeks!)? I just didn't know. The cost would almost double (kids have a cruise fare too - even little Luke!). Carl and I would spend most hours caring for both littles...and not get time to spend with each other. Sure, DCL offers kid clubs (but not for Luke's age) that do allow parents to spend a little away time. But there's no way Savannah would stay with a stranger...and Luke would required a babysitter, not a kid's club. So we'd pay to bring them, then have to pay someone to watch Luke while we ate dinner (still with Savannah). We want to do two different shore excursions (horseback riding in Cozumel, Mexico through Mayan ruins and snorkeling at Castaway Cay), but the horseback riding is for ages 12 and over...and the snorkeling wouldn't go so well with two littles who don't know how to swim yet! And while DCL is good about providing time for parents to get away (even though I've gone over the drawbacks in our situation), I don't think they allow you to leave your kids on the boat while you go ashore...I'm not sure that is their policy, but I certainly wouldn't leave my kids on a boat anyway!

So to take the kids would be kind of silly at this point in our lives. They wouldn't enjoy it nearly as much as a trip to WDW...which we are going on in 2014. That is a place to take them...there's so much to do for all ages...lots to keep them entertained...and remember, at that point Luke will be 2 1/2 and Savannah will be 5 1/2...they will enjoy shows and rides and parades. The cruise entertainment options include bingo, nightclubs, movies, shows...Luke most definitely won't sit through any of those...and Savannah only would a few times...not every night.

So am I a bad mom? Traveling without my littles? I tend to think it will make me a better mom - and a much better wife. Carl and I need to get away. We have had a rough 2012...numerous trips to the hospital (for good and bad reasons)...just so much stress and responsibility has been added to our lives in the past 10 months. We need time to recharge our batteries. One thing I'm excited about? To wake up on a "day at sea" day and eat my meals when I want, read a book by the pool, watch a movie, take a nap...all whenever I want. My kids will miss me, but they will be with Grandma (and Grandpa for at least a few of those days). Carl will have his work laptop with him for random check-ins...so I can keep up with Savannah and Luke too. I know they will be safe, sound, and comfortable at home...and they will get to spend some time with their grandparents. Carl and I have learned all too well this year that time with our parents is, unfortunately, not guaranteed.

So we are excited - really excited. Our vacation in 2013 is a selfish one, but one that we won't regret. Luke most certainly won't miss the trip...and I doubt Savannah will either. We will still travel to see family in 2013...and then in 2014 we will take Luke for his first time to WDW (and Carl and I just have to eat at Be Our Guest Restaurant!!). All while still using vacation savings...I love a great deal when I can find one!!

I know I will adore my 5 nights away...and I also know I'll miss my littles intensely...but in 18 years, when both of them are out the door (hopefully they become responsible, self-sufficient adults within 18-22 years), I want to still know, like, and LOVE the man I married.

No comments:

Post a Comment