Friday, April 13, 2012

Doctor Drama.

Being a mom is tough. Being a mom that visits the doctor's office often is really tough. Luke and I both have a cold that has lasted over 2 weeks now. On Wednesday I took Luke in to see the pediatrician since his stuffy nose had developed a cough. He weighed 10 pounds, which is exactly what he weighed two weeks prior. Instantly, the conversation became "How do I produce more milk? How often does he eat? When does he eat? Maybe we should talk about supplements..." It scared me immediately because I didn't breastfeed Savannah for more than 3 months, and her weight was checked all the time. I always second-guessed my instincts. I hated it.

So when Luke seemed to stop putting on the pounds, I started feeling more confident. Until Wednesday. So today he had to meet with a pediatric cardiologist (he had a faint heart murmur at birth - completely gone now and he's fine but talk about stressing a mom out!) and when he was weighed upon arrival to the hospital, he was 10 pounds 9 ounces...no way did he gain 9 ounces in 2 days! He was weighed again at his follow-up from his visit with a cold and again, 10 pounds 9 ounces...so on Wednesday he had been weighed wrong! All that stress and worry and second-guessing for nothing! I told Carl that's why I hate how often they check on babies and weight...it makes moms second-guess what they are doing. I hate the first days of life in the hospital...every 10 minutes there's someone in the room asking questions..."How much did you drink? How long did the baby nurse? Has the baby pooped yet?". I know they have a job and they are doing their best to be sure that babies stay healthy, but it makes for so much drama for the mama!

So now I know that Luke is growing and I'm doing the right thing. I hope to keep seeing such improvements. Now I just have to get this house healthy! Luke and I need to get rid of these colds!

No comments:

Post a Comment