Monday, May 10, 2010

Mother's Day Blessings...

Yesterday I enjoyed my 2nd Mother's Day. It was such a blissful day! Last year, I entertained both mother and mother-in-law at the house after church. While it was nice to celebrate both moms, it was so tiring with a 1-month-old! This year, I asked for a quiet Sunday, with no visitors. Carl and Savannah spent Friday evening with Carl's mother (I had to attend an Academic Achievement Banquet at FSU that night) and on Saturday evening we spent time with my mother. Sunday was reserved for me.

Savannah isn't quite old enough to plan her gifts for me...so she had some help from Carl. So Saturday night I kind of got a present...well, I was given the attempt at a present. While I was grading finals (all 75 of them!) he was doing something mysterious in the basement with Savannah...he took a plastic cup and a spoon down stairs and told me not to come down. But then, not even 20 minutes later he calls for me. I ask what he needs, and he says he needs my help. So down I go, and I find him with Savannah in the middle of our tiled bathroom floor. Savannah is a mess and so is the bathroom! He was attempting to make a handprint out of plaster of paris for me...but none of it worked and she had stuff all over her hands! That gift turned out to be more work than a gift...and the handprint never did work out.

Saturday night Carl asked if I'd like breakfast in bed...which I said was a nice thought, but not what I wanted. All I asked is that he wake up with Savannah and feed her...I could sleep in! So I slept for an extra hour, and then when I got up I made some muffins up quickly. One of my favorite fast breakfasts! I did get candy too - and a hand signed card from Savannah, which I will always cherish.

After church Savannah napped really well - which allowed time for me to nap also! I don't know when the last time I could relax at home was. Normally if she is sleeping I'm cleaning...but Sunday was the first time in a long time that nothing really needed done. The office is cleaned out (minus a few boxes to be moved to the attic tonight), the garage was cleaned out and organized (thanks to the yard sale - we had to go through it all!), and the unfinished side of the basement is organized with shelving, etc....and I didn't have any dishes, laundry, or cooking to do...so for the first time probably since....hmm...I don't know, before Savannah was born....I got to sleep in the afternoon!

After our collective naps, we dropped Savannah off at Grandma's so that Carl could take me to dinner...it was a nice Mother's Day/Date Night treat...and Savannah got to spend time with her Grandma too! I really think non-parents take for granted the feeling of eating warm food at the same time as their significant other. It has gotten better as Savannah has gotten older, but heading out to eat with a small child is never going to be the same as a dinner for two.

This Mother's Day was just what I wanted...the handprint didn't work out, but it's the thought that counts. I was able to catch up on some much needed sleep, and still love that my house is clean! I enjoyed every minute with Savannah...and I was celebrated as the mother of Carl's child (and someday that will be children instead of child!) at dinner. I feel like I finally found a piece of myself that had been missing for a while...I found that I am still Michelle...not just Savannah's Mom. I also found that I'm still a young woman - not some old crotchity lady! (Although I did take an afternoon nap...) I still love my husband so very much, and I look forward to the many new surprises and joys in our life together as parents to Savannah, and some day in the future Luke (Asher) or Ella (Faith).

Each and every day I am thankful for the life I live, and the people that are in it to make it so incredibly special.

No comments:

Post a Comment