Monday, November 29, 2010

The Countdown Begins...

Do you realize tomorrow is the last day in November?! This semester has gone by so incredibly fast. All of my classes at WVU and FSU are wrapping up...only two weeks of teaching left. At the end of those two weeks awaits my reward...Disney!! In 12 days I will be arriving at one of my most favorite places in the world...with my beautiful little girl. All of the stress of the semester will melt away and I can just enjoy life, and see the magic through her eyes.

The past two weeks have been hectic though. The small social gathering after Carl's uncle's memorial service went well. The house was clean in time, the food was ready in time, and everyone was so appreciative. It was a long day, but thankfully I was able to pull it off.

Thanksgiving was the next big rush. Again, everything went as planned. I had a full table of 12, and the food was all hot and ready at the same time. Although I get teased a lot for being so "OCD" about things...no one complained at the dinner table! Everything turned out delicious and beautiful. I was exhausted by the end of the day, but it was a success. Carl and I also kept our tradition of shopping early on Black Friday. We left Savannah sleeping at the house (my dad stayed behind in case she woke) and we faced the early morning rain and crowds. That afternoon I took a nap while Savannah napped. When she woke up Carl got her out of bed and let her play while he played games on the computer (same room). I ended up napping for almost 3 hours! I don't know when the last time was that I slept that long for a nap, or even had the time for a nap! I deserved it though...I'd been a whirlwind wife/mom for two weeks.

We also finished the decorations for Christmas (pictures on fb) this weekend. That is huge relief. It did dawn on me that next year decorating might not be as easy...this year we just used the nursery as a go-between for the attic and the main floor. The tubs sat there for a week, then we moved them down to the main floor to decorate, and now the tubs are back in the nursery (where they will remain until I refill them after Christmas - then move back to the attic). It is quite possible that next year the nursery will be in use...and while Savannah was pretty easy to decorate with, I really don't think it will be very easy with two children. So next year we might have to pick a weekend for the little ones to visit Grandma and Grandpa for a while.

So now the race to Disney is on. I've decided against my annual Christmas Cookie weekend. I just need time to pack and clean things up before Disney, and I really don't need the extra calories anyway. When we return the church is going to have a Cookie Exchange, so I'll make a few dozen of my favorite kind and that will be it. I do hope to make some Chex mix at some point...it will be a great travel snack. My to-do list mainly includes packing and making sure we have all the electronics ready to go.

I still need to figure out Christmas presents, but I'll have a few days once we get back to finish up. I've already had the question about Christmas dinner (some during Thanksgiving's big meal!) and I've been thinking about it for a while. I wanted to do something not so traditional, and something with little prep work since we'll be traveling so close to Christmas. I've decided on "Breakfast for Dinner". I'll serve a ham, breakfast casserole (with sausage), and Belgian waffles. I've asked my mom to bring fresh fruit and a coffee cake. My mother-in-law will bring a cheesy potato crock pot dish. I'll serve milk, juice, and coffee. I might look into making some sort of biscuit, but nothing fancy. It will be an easy dinner...and yummy...and unique.

After the holidays I have a pretty laid-back schedule. At some point the decorations need to come down...and I'd like to sort through all of Savannah's baby clothes...but other than that and the normal work things life should be more relaxed...I'm almost going to mandate that it becomes more relaxed...I'm tired of being such a whirlwind person...I want to unwind and just enjoy being a mom and a professional.

So I'm out of the starting gates...now just to survive the next two weeks of my race to Disney!!

No comments:

Post a Comment