Tuesday, August 7, 2012

Chores and Macaroni

Most people in my very small social circle are aware of my addiction to Pinterest. I'm an avid pinner - no secret there! The other day I stumbled upon a blog about chores for your toddler. I thought, "What a great find! I could totally use some extra help around the house!" As I started reading the list, I began to realize that I've already done a pretty good job of teaching those things to Savannah. She puts her dirty clothes in the laundry, she puts her clean clothes in her drawers (matches them up to the pictures/words I set up for her when she was 18 months old!), she feeds the cats, she puts her dirty dishes in the sink (or the dishwasher if it's open), she throws away Luke's diapers for me, she gets her own utensils, she gets her own water to drink (we leave an open cup next to the fridge and she uses the automatic dispenser), she dresses herself, she vacuums with me, she helps wrap the vacuum cord up, she picks up all the toys before I vacuum...she really does a lot to help me. And the other amazing part? She loves doing it. She feels so accomplished and it is a unique way for she and I to bond. She is turning into such a little person - it is just so joyous to watch.

I did learn some things from the list of toddler chores...she really likes to wash things (she was "washing" her bathtub the other night)...and the list suggested giving your child a rag with non-toxic cleaner on it (I use 1/2 vinegar, 1/2 water to clean a lot of things) and having them scrub cabinets. I would love for her to wipe down all the below counter cabinets...it's getting harder on me to crawl around on the floor to clean those! She also could help clean the windows (heavens knows she's the reason they need cleaned anyway!). So I have a little pint-sized helper in Savannah - it's great.

As a side note, here's a little treat for you - my Granny's Macaroni & Cheese recipe!



Ingredients:
4 1/2 cups of water
Dash of salt
2 cups of macaroni
1 cup margarine
1/3 log of Velveeta

Directions:
Put water in a large pan. (Make sure you measure it - this recipe never drains off the water!) Add salt. Bring to boil. Add macaroni. Return to boil. Reduce heat to medium-low. Cover. Cook until tender, stirring occasionally (approximately 15 minutes). Add butter. Cover. Cook 10 minutes. Take off heat. Cut Velveeta into cubes. Add Velveeta. Return to heat until cheese melts.

This recipe turns out slightly soupy to start with, but after cooling a bit it turns into melty, creamy deliciousness!!

No comments:

Post a Comment