Monday, September 13, 2010

Sleeping Beauty

So 11 days later and Savannah is sleeping like an angel in her big girl bed...and really she transitioned much better than I could have ever hoped for! On Friday (the 3rd) we gave it our first try. When she first got into bed and read a story with me she was content. Then when I tried to get up and leave she ran after me crying, so I held her hand and walked her back to her bed. This time I just sat next to the bed. After a few minutes I scooted away, and then waited. Then a few minutes later I scooted farther away...and repeated this until I was right next to the gate at the door. She watched me from her bed, never crying, but seemingly never blinking either. The moment I decided to leave she began crying before I was completely over the gate. So I walked her back to her bed again and sat down...scooted away, waited, scooted away, waited. Again, once I crossed the gate she cried. Unfortunately for her, I really had to pee by this point. Carl asked if he should go in, but I told him I'd be right back and she'd be fine until I returned. Literally two minutes later I had just changed into PJs and was about to head in to her room again - she was quiet. I peeked in - she was sleeping in her bed. It was amazing!

The first morning she woke up about an hour earlier and instantly cried. I know she was probably a little scared and confused waking up in a different room than normal, so I instantly went in to play with her.

The next night Savannah went through her bedtime routine with ease. She brushed her teeth with Carl, turned on her night light with him (which has been moved into the hall because she unplugged it the first morning in her new room) and then read a book with me. I gave her lots of cuddles and kisses, then walked out. I was waiting for the cries as soon as I crossed the gate - but there were none. I made it to the basement and asked Carl how in the world it could be this easy to transition her. We were baffled. It has been that peaceful every night since.

The mornings are a lot better now too...we've even had to wake her up before I leave for work some mornings. Another perk - if she wakes up at 7:00 we can leave her in her room to play while we half-sleep in for a bit. We know she's safe in there, and she's contentedly talking to her toys, so we just get to rest a bit longer.

So my little Savannah is a big girl, in a big bed. She made the transition really as smoothly as anyone could ever expect. Nap time has had it's ups and downs....at bedtime she's so tired the toys don't distract her from sleep, but nap time has been a much different story. We've had really good days, and then other days she just wants to play so badly. It's a work in progress, but I know she is safe and there isn't any danger of her climbing out of the crib.

In my other role (as professor instead of mom), time has flown by. We are already in our 4th week at WVU and FSU. I knew teaching so many classes would make life busy, but I didn't realize how fast the days would pass by. I'm glad it is going quickly though, it means I'm only 89 days away from Disney (that's just over 12 weeks)! We visited the zoo this weekend (photos and videos on fb) and Savannah walked just about the entire time - so it was awesome practice for the marathon she'll run (or it will seem for a toddler at least) this December.

Another big time milestone that is quickly approaching - I am cleared to think about trying again for another little one at the end of the month...although I don't think I'm quite ready to try. My body is cleared by the doctor, but my heart isn't quite ready. I'm going to at least wait until after Disney..but again, that's only 89 days away. The way time passes these days, 89 days might as well be 8 or 9 days...

No comments:

Post a Comment