Thursday, September 2, 2010

Tears

Wednesday was one of those not fun days for me. But maybe I'm getting ahead of myself...it all really started on Monday....

So Monday night we finally finished Savannah's Big Girl Room! All of the furniture, wall outlets, toys, etc. are safe for her to play around/with. It looks beautiful and just as I had imagined. Savannah truly has a princess's room. All of the little details make it a special place and Savannah absolutely loves to play in there. We are going to try to transition her to sleeping in there this weekend - fingers crossed for that! So below are some of the pictures of her beautiful space...









So Monday night I finished the room for Savannah...and Tuesday night I worked late and had Bible Study so there wasn't much time for play with Savannah that night. Tuesday I also found out that a friend of mine is pregnant with twins (Congrats to her!). So then came Wednesday...and things started to really sink in that Savannah is not a baby anymore. A coworker brought her 2-month old in for all of the staff to babysit for a quick hour while she did a radio interview - he was precious. Then I saw more posts about the twins that are on their way. Then I cleaned out Savannah's nursery closet....I should have known better. I have already moved her clothes across the hall (as previously blogged about) but I had left everything else in the closet. Since their is a yard sale coming up to benefit MSNAP (a charity that helps something very dear to my heart - pets) I decided I should go through things and get anything out of the house that we no longer need. So I had to tackle that mess of a closet (and before the 10th when donations are accepted). So I began to sort through the heap...one side now has all the baby gear that I want to keep but that Savannah is too big for or doesn't need...the baby carrier, my breast pump, high chair cover, boppy, etc. The other side has all the blankets that are in great shape and were our favorites. The top of the closet has a stack of neutral crib sheets and a box of keepsakes from Savannah's first year. Then I came to things that made me really realize how big she has gotten. I found her Easter basket from this year - it's too cute to not use again and again. I found the Easter basket that we sat her inside of when we brought her home from the hospital on Easter Sunday 2009. I can't believe she was that small! I found the Easter basket that the Easter Bunny brought to us while we were still in the hospital with her...so cute and sentimental...definite keeper. I found her Halloween costume from last year - she truly was the cutest flower in the world! I decided to keep it also...I may want to dress another baby girl as a flower...and if not that Savannah can dress her dolls as one. I found the handkerchief that was used to dry her head on the day she was Christened. All of these amazing little keepsakes to remind me of Savannah as a baby. So after cleaning out the closet just about all I wanted to do was play with her and cuddle her - but I couldn't. Carl had taken her downtown to a Rally for the Mountaineers. He said she loved the band and cheerleaders - which I'm sure she did....but I missed her so. They got back at 9:00...so I just cuddled with her while she slept, then put her in her crib.

Before Savannah left I'd been emptying the dishwasher, and she helped me. I handed her one of my measuring cups (plastic, 1/4 cup size) out of the top rack just to keep her occupied while I finished up and then before I knew it she was pushing my leg....I looked down and she was trying to push my leg out of the way so that she could open the drawer the cup belonged in! I hadn't told her to put it away, or asked where it was, or anything - I just handed her the cup. Some days I'm amazed at how she thinks! So when I mentioned it to Carl he said we really need to start thinking about potty training (his mother has been pushing that too). Carl said "She's so smart - she'll get it.". While I know she is a smart cookie I was hoping to delay potty training until after Disney...but I don't know.

So now all of the sudden I'm faced with my little baby moving across the hall into a big girl room, possibly potty training soon, and she now says "Cracker" in the most adorable way! (This speaking development is new since Tuesday - she just all of the sudden said it, which is a big deal to me because she has been forever jabbering without being clear about anything!) I also realized that when I go shopping at Carter's now I have to go to the back of the store...an area I've never shopped in because it all used to be too big for her...but not anymore.

I've also noticed that while he would never say it, Carl sometimes seems to be longing for another pregnancy as well. He watched his best friend interact so lovingly with his pregnant wife this weekend...made my heart break. We are oh-so-happy for them...but it's hard at times. I knew days like this would come and I fully expect there to be plenty more, at least until after the original due date of February 28th. Honestly all of these little things would be a little bit hard, regardless of a miscarriage. And even after a miscarriage these things wouldn't have bothered me so much if they all had happened at separate times...but so close together has made it quite the burden.

Savannah is growing up and I'm not ready - but really, what mother is ever ready?


No comments:

Post a Comment