Tuesday, July 26, 2011

Are We Crazy?!

The other night I asked Carl if we were crazy. It kind of hit me when he said that when another baby is welcomed into our home will we have 9 mouths to feed. I instantly said, "No we won't. It's not that many."...but then I started counting. Carl, myself, Savannah, Omen, Cyrus, O'Malley, Junebug, and Hope...plus another baby would make 9. I really started to think we're crazy. For two 20-somethings, we sure do have a lot of responsibilities and people/pets depending on us!

I wondered, what are we thinking wanting another child? We have a quiet house (for the most part) from 8p to 7a...we get sleep on a regular basis...we're almost out of diapers and binkies with Savannah...Savannah knows how to clean her plate after meals (she throws away the trash and puts her dishes in the sink)...we finally have a semi-independent child...and now we want another one!?

But then I was reminded why I want another child. Because every minute of hardship with children is worth it. Savannah starts pre-school at the church this fall, and the secretary was telling me how excited she was to watch Savannah play at the church with her friends. She said they often play in the main area with a giant parachute...and it hit me then that I will miss out on Savannah having fun. That made my heart hurt. To this point in time, I have never missed out on any major fun experience. I go with her everywhere...parades, parks, museums, all of it. But once she is in school she will be having fun, without me. I'm proud of her for doing it...but it made me realize that this is just the beginning...once she starts school she will be doing all kinds of fun things while I am at work. And really, this would be happening to me if I was a stay at home mom too...I can't go to school with Savannah and spend every minute with her. It's good for her to be independent...but it is so hard to know that her being independent also means that I have to let go a little...and a little more the next year...and a little more the next.

The seconds, minutes, hours, days, weeks, months, and years pass by so quickly. And that is why we want another child. The crying will pass, the little sleep will pass...and unfortunately, so will all the fun times too. Children grow up incredibly too fast...

No comments:

Post a Comment