Thursday, April 25, 2013

Well Toto, We're Not in High School Anymore...

So as much as I'd like to deny it - I graduated from high school 10 years ago. It doesn't seem possible for time to have gone by as quickly as it did...but here we are...grown adults. As like most high school classes, we plan to have a reunion. Generally the tradition is that the class president from our senior class plans the events. I honestly don't remember who was class president, but apparently someone does, and they formed a committee, and a facebook invite. There was also apparently some kind of forum to discuss where/when to hold the reunion. Turns out it will be on a Saturday night, in a bar. Here's the problem with that - most of us are 30 or will be soon. Many of us have families. Many of those with families really don't need an extra three hours of loud noise (we get enough of that in our own homes before 8:00pm!). So while I'm not trying to be picky, I'm pretty sure the planning committee members are all childless. So, an evening at a bar sounds great. The planning committee is receiving some flack on the facebook event wall...and those defending them are close friends...mostly single or childless also. I do think it would be nice to plan something in the daytime, and family friendly. Especially in the summer - they could easily do a picnic at a park (which I'm sure would be cheaper than renting out a space at a bar). Honestly, I'd rather see people and their families, to see what they have produced than see everyone drinking at a party. I had enough of that 10 years ago.

In the end, I don't really care what they do. They scheduled the date for the Saturday I will be driving back from Hilton Head...so I won't be there...but if I was in town, here's why I wouldn't go: It is clear from all the bickering on the facebook event wall that most of my graduating class is still stuck back in high school. The same groups hate each other, the same snarky people are snarky, and no one wants to think about anyone but themselves. Maybe I'll attend when we celebrate 15 years...if it appears any of them have matured!

No comments:

Post a Comment