Thursday, March 25, 2010

2 (Crazy Weeks) + 1 (Sick Baby) = 1 (Crazy Tired Mommy)

The past two weeks have flown by in a blur. I knew this was coming...the Ides of March and all. I keep thinking and dreaming of a neat graphic to put up on here as my main image...one of me standing in the middle of the world with 12 arms - one arm holding Savannah, one holding Carl's hand, one teaching Engineering Economy for WVU, one managing the Regional Science Fair, one managing the WV State Science Fair, one teaching an FE prep course, one planning a birthday party, one cleaning the house, one balancing the check book, one cooking dinner, one doing laundry, and maybe if I'm lucky, one reading a book. It would be amusing to see, that's for sure.

In the past two weeks I have worked 3 different jobs, earning money from three different places. I've dealt with a cranky (though justifiably so) baby with a cold-turned-ear-infection. I have directed one science fair (72 projects on the 13th) and prepared for another science fair (60 projects, we send the winner to CA for the Intel International Fair) to be held on the 27th. Last week I was in Fairmont on the 13th all day, then I was working until 6:15 on Monday and Wednesday at WVU. On Tuesday and Thursday I worked at FSU until 6pm, then 6-9pm I was teaching an FE prep course. Those nights were the hardest. I'd be driving home from Fairmont in the dark at 9pm, knowing I wouldn't be able to play with Savannah until the next morning, and then only for a few minutes before leaving for work again. This week has been just about as crazy. Monday and Wednesday I was at WVU in the evenings, and on Tuesday I was yet again teaching an FE prep course. The State Science Fair officially begins tomorrow, but is held all day on Saturday. But there is a light at the end of this crazy work tunnel. Next week is WVU's spring break, which means no long evenings at all!

In the middle of all this craziness, Savannah started showing signs of a cold on the 14th. She was miserable last week, and even woke up at night a lot. We finally got her in with the doctor on the 19th. She had started with a cold, but ended up with an ear infection. She's almost completely back to normal now...the usual, happy, healthy girl. While a cold isn't a big deal, it was for me. She hasn't ever been sick before...no fevers, no coughs, not even any sniffles really. We made it 48 weeks free of illness...which is an amazing feat. So when she did get sick, I was met with all the crazy-mommy worries for the first time...and I wasn't home to monitor like I would have liked. It was definitely a trying week. She is much better now though, back to eating us out of house and home, and sleeping her peaceful 12 hours. Last night when I got home she came crawling over at warp speed, and then she sat up on her knees with her arms in the air to be picked up. As soon as I set my purse/school bag down and picked her up she let out such a delighted squeal! I live for those tiny, precious moments.

On top of the craziness at my three jobs (which are now back down to 2, and will be back to one job at the end of the semester), we have had more craziness with Carl's car. Most people know my hatred of his car, but this weekend the check engine light came on, again. For some reason it decided to start stuttering, and really make me fear it would stall. So the rule is now that Savannah doesn't ride in it. But we really had hoped to pay off both cars (that lovely date was scheduled for the end of the year) before we had to buy another car...but now with his car just becoming not as reliable as we would like, we are on the fast track of car buying. We will be shopping in the evenings on Monday and Tuesday, and we hope to make a decision by Wednesday, as long as we can get a deal we're satisfied with. So my free week next week will turn into half car buying, and the other half will be Easter brunch/Easter egg coloring/Savannah birthday party planning. But we will have two reliable cars at the end of the week...and that will keep us sleeping soundly.

I keep promising myself that life will slow down soon. After Savannah's birthday (which is only 16 days away!!), my only real concerns will be to prepare for a giant yard sale (held sometime in May), and to plan and pack for a trip to Miami Beach in May. The Miami trip will be a delight, once we're there. Carl is going for business, so Savannah and I are tagging along for pleasure. It will be her first trip to the ocean, and in a beautiful hotel! His conference starts sometime on a Monday, so we are flying down early the Saturday before...so we'll get at least a day and a half to spend as a family, and then we'll be there until we come home on a Friday. It will be a delightful trip, I just fear the packing - and Savannah's first flight. I will leave those worries for after the 10th...I have enough on my "tired-worried-emotional-busy-mommy" to-do list as it is.

No comments:

Post a Comment