Tuesday, March 9, 2010

T-Minus 31 Days...

Savannah is turning one year old in 31 days!! The panic that the previous sentence should bring hasn't quite set in. I keep telling myself that we have plenty of time before she turns one. But alas, I know that isn't true.

I have done some work for her birthday party, but I still have several decorations that need to be created. The cake is the most stressful of all, and I can't do anything to prepare for it until the night before her party. I'm sure over the next week I will get into party mode and go crazy making all the little details...so as for the actual party, I'm not stressed out or worried.

As for the whole "Savannah is going to be one" thing - that's another story. She has already changed so much just in the past month. She loves her swim class - she even does all the motions for the "Choosy" song we sing at the end of class. She also is getting closer to walking. She pulls up and stands up just about every opportunity she gets. We've even caught glimpses of her standing alone for brief periods...it will only be a short time before she is taking steps. She also stacked blocks on Saturday evening. We were playing in her nursery and I stacked up 5 blocks. She took the top one and put it on the floor next to my tower, then she took the next block and put it on top of the first. So most people don't really see the significance in this...but it is a huge milestone for a baby to stack things!

She also is learning rules. She isn't allowed to touch our DVD rack...so last night she crawls over to it and I tell her that it isn't for her. She sits and looks at me, then looks at it, then looks at me. Then she reaches her hand out and touches the foot of the base, waiting for my response. I've decided to compromise with her. She is allowed to touch the base - mainly because she can't hurt herself or anything in the rack when she touches the base. She is not allowed to touch the things on the shelves though, and this she knows. She is content to touch the base, and I'm happy that she leaves the other stuff alone then. She also knows that she isn't allowed to touch the barstools in the kitchen. She'll crawl over to them on occasion, look at them, then shake her head "no" and crawls away. If only she would remain on this path of self-discipline!

So my little girl is thinking and learning and growing...and turning one. Now I understand why some people have lots of kids...the early months and years are so rewarding and fun!

No comments:

Post a Comment