Monday, March 1, 2010

Ready, Set, Crawl!!

After quite the stressful Friday, Carl and I decided to get out of the house on Saturday. The Morgantown Mall was hosting the Health Fair, and we'd read about a baby crawl that afternoon, so we decided to see if Savannah would like to do that.

We had lunch at Chick-Fil-A, Savannah loves their fries. She was so busy looking at all the people (she's been trapped inside all winter too!) that she really didn't eat as much as normal, but was content. After lunch we strolled over to register Savannah for the Baby Crawl. She was #20.



We had to wait for the 4th heat before she could begin her crawl, so we spent some time watching the other babies. Savannah loved that! She couldn't keep her eyes off all the other kids and parents...it was wonderful for her.

Eventually it was her turn to crawl. I was the "catcher" and Carl decided to be the "starter". The rules started that no external objects could be used to encourage her crawling - so no Lovey! On the word "go" Carl put Savannah down. I started calling her name and making all kinds of silly faces. I've discovered the key to getting her to interact was almost laying down on the floor to her exact level. Once I did that she was instantly off in a crawl-run to come to me. She easily beat out the other crawlers. That's my girl!

For that win, we were given a nice bag with some goodies in it, and then waited for the crawl-off. At first Savannah just kind of watched others, and the first place crawler was off in a flash. The baby that was starting next to her took off, so she decided to go too. What a photo finish it was! The rules state that to be consider across the finish line the baby has to put his/her hand on the other side of the tape. Well, the baby next to Savannah crawled to the line, touched the tape, but didn't touch across the tape. Then here comes Savannah. She just kept crawling to me all smiles...she crawled right across and touched the floor across the tape. The judges then went into deliberation. I was just so proud that Savannah crossed the finish line. I kept hugging her and telling her how wonderful she was. Eventually the judges decided that we had won 3rd place! We were given another bag of goodies. In all, she received several books, tub toys, and toddler snacks.



In the end, I really don't think it mattered to Carl and I that she won 3rd place. The prize wasn't what we were there for. We were just so thrilled that Savannah did so well all on her own! I haven't felt that much pride for someone else's actions until Savannah finished the Baby Crawl. I know that moment will be just the first of many, but it is a truly amazing feeling.
I have decided I will be one of those moms. I will be a weeping mess when she graduates from high school, drives a car, and all of those special moments.



So even though some people feel a Baby Crawl is like entering your child in a duck race where your child is the duck, Savannah had a wonderful time, as did Carl and I.

No comments:

Post a Comment