Tuesday, August 16, 2011

Long Weekend...

On Friday morning my dad called and said that sweet Alex had a rough night...so Savannah and I spent most of our time at my parents house that day. Carl came after work, and we just loved on that sweet puppy. When we had to leave on Friday night, I knew it would be the last time to pet him. We tried to prepare Savannah, but I know she didn't understand why I was so sad. The whole drive home I sobbed. Carl tried to reassure me...but I was just so sad. Alex was such an amazing pet and friend.

That night, when Savannah and I sat down to cuddle, we prayed our usual prayer but added in a little bit for Alex. We prayed he would be taken care of, and happy, and know that he was dearly loved during his time with us. At that point I broke into tears again. Savannah was laying across my lap and looked up into my eyes. She said, "Mommy sad?" I told her I was sad because Alex was sick. She then said, "Mommy kiss." and pulled my head close. I thought she wanted a kiss on the lips, and then she said, "No Mommy." She then proceeded to kiss all the tears on my cheeks. She told me, "No sad, happy Mommy. No cry.". I am so proud and delighted to say I have a very caring daughter (even if she is dramatic and stubborn like a teenager already!).

Another milestone has passed us by again also...she is without a pacifier from now on. Saturday night we had Savannah collect all her binks and put them in a basket. We told her the Binky Bunny was coming to take them all, and when she woke up there'd be a special toy just for her. So that night was a little rough to get her to sleep...but she slept through the night. On Sunday morning the Little People Animal Sounds Farm was waiting for her, and she was so excited! She loves that farm. Sunday was tough though...the entire day nothing made her happy. She told us she "didn't like" just about everything (including Dora!). She refused a nap on Sunday too. Sunday night she cried the instant I left the room...and lasted for 15 minutes sobbing before I went back because I thought she'd make herself sick she was crying so much. I told her we could cuddle one more time and within 2 minutes of sitting down she was fast asleep. Yesterday she napped well, and went to bed without a peep...so we have officially gotten rid of the binks....it was hard, but worth it. On Sunday I was wondering if we should even give a bink to the next child because taking it away is so hard...but after surviving the 3 days of hardship, I've decided it is totally worth it. That bink was SO helpful in so many situations during the first two years of Savannah's life...many more times than just 3....so I can survive the 3 days of hardship for an easier first two years!

So it was a rough weekend...with a lot of life lessons learned. Savannah still asks about Alex at Grandma and Grandpa's house...and we have to tell her that he lives with Jesus now...but it's tough. She loved him too. She's also growing up faster than I ever imagined. She tried her new backpack on for preschool this weekend...she loves WAY too grown up. One week from today we have a parent meeting/kid meet and greet at preschool, and her first day is officially in 2 weeks! She will be in a classroom...that is just so hard to believe...my little girl is growing up too fast!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment