Monday, July 9, 2012

The Future of Birthdays....

So after rehashing Savannah's birthdays via photos...it's already time for me to start planning and preparing for the next round of party madness. In 2013, I am going to begin the first of many years of live/breathe/sleep parties during the winter months. Luke and Savannah's birthdays are only 39 days apart...so I will be planning two major events simultaneously (which for me is always a challenge I'm up for!).

Even though I realize this pretty much shouts crazy extreme planner, I decided the theme for Luke's first birthday the day he was born. (If he had been born on February 29th, I already had a theme planned - before he was born! Ha! It would have been frogs - get it, Leap Year, frogs leap, February 29th?) But alas, no Leap Day birthday...but his birthday does fall on a very special day - Dr. Seuss's birthday! As I was laying in bed, staring at my beautiful baby boy, very early (like 1am!) in his life (he was born at 12:11am), I decided his birthday would be as Seussical as it could get! I have since created a pin board dedicated to the ideas for decorations, foods, games, favors...everything. (Side note - I discovered Pinterest after Savannah's 3rd birthday...now all the birthday parties are sure to be crazy!) I plan to use the red, white, and unique Seuss blue for the main colors...I will most likely make the cake/cupcakes...and all the foods will be special (green eggs and ham anyone?). Location is still in the air...I'm back and forth between our church hall and our house...we will see as the time nears. I have already begun buying items as I see them on sale. Michael's is debuting a Dr. Seuss theme bulletin board set (for back to school for the teachers out there)...so I have been buying up all kinds of decorations! I want to find a free evening (like that's going to happen!) where I can go and read Dr. Seuss books and jot down all kinds of references to food and images in the book (truffula trees, roast beast) so I can really plan. (Research for a 1st birthday party - I really am obsessed with excited about the possibilities of this party!)

As for Savannah...I hadn't given much thought to it until recently. I've really thought a CandyLand theme would be adorable and fun...I stumbled upon the idea back when she was still under 1 year...and knew it'd have to wait to be a theme until she was a little older...well the time has finally come (hooray!). I asked her the other day how she felt about a candy party, and she was on board with the idea the second I said, "Candy!". I've begun exploring some decoration ideas as well as activities and foods...I definitely will have a little bit more of an activity based party, because let's face it - four year olds can handle activities! I definitely will need to do some research into CandyLand (looks like family game night!) to decide on what kinds of activities (cupcake decorating?) we can plan...and I would love to plan her party for our church....we have a wonderful flat lawn between the building and pavilion...the weather is always chancy (April is tough to predict)...but I could plan for outdoors and then move inside if need be.

In future years I'd love a construction party for Luke, maybe a Star Wars theme...and even though I like picking the themes, I'll enjoy creating a magical day for my kids once they start being more opinionated on the topic. For now I'm thrilled that they just enjoy my excitement over their big day and I love the knowledge that I am celebrating their lives to the fullest!

No comments:

Post a Comment