Tuesday, April 20, 2010

Days like yesterday remind me of how much I love Savannah, and how blessed I am to have her for a daughter. I had the day off with her, and we first went to visit the doctor for her 1-year well visit. They had to do a hemoglobin test, which entails sticking her finger and then filling a tiny vial drop by drop for testing. Do you know of any one year old that likes their hand being held a specific way for several minutes?! If so, Savannah needs to meet that one year old! I really think the finger stick wasn't the worst part for her, it was having to be held a certain way. She instantly fought against being held a certain way, but once I started to sing "Ready to go out, I'll bring my purse along. Get my keys, and bracelet, sing a little song. Look into the mirror, put some lipstick on. Wave and say bye-bye, I won't be gone for long." (One her favorite toys, Fisher-Price Laugh and Learn Purse) sings this song...I learned it months ago.), she stilled and sat in my lap contentedly while the nurse captured every little drop. I think I sang that song at least 15 times, and I pity the nurse for having to listen to my singing, but it did make life a lot easier on all three of us!

When the doctor came in the results from the hemoglobin test were in, and her count was 13.3. She said that she hasn't seen a count that high in a long time, and it's an excellent number. (Later, at home, I did a little research to see what's normal, and for children it's around 11-13, and it's only considered too high when it's over 15.5.) I was so glad to hear my little girl was getting all the right nutrients! The doctor also checked out all kinds of other little things, asked about her development, etc. She reevaluated Savannah's ears to be sure all of the fluid from her ear infection last month was gone, and she said her ears are perfect again. Then it was time for the shots. This time around there were three, and I had to hold her for the first time. No amount of singing was going to solve this problem. As soon as we put her down on the table she began to cry - she knew what was coming. The nurse stuck her quickly, and as soon as I had Savannah in my arms the tears had stopped. I've had some people ask if I worry about having Savannah vaccinated, but I have done some research of my own, and I have talked extensively with the doctor on the issue. One of the key factors for me is this fact: The amount of people receiving the MMR vaccine has declined over the past few years (fears that it causes autism) but the amount of children diagnosed with autism is still increasing. So if autism is increasing, but use of the vaccine is decreasing, I really don't feel they are related. This choice is one every parent has to make, and while I hate to see Savannah endure the pain of the shot, and I always worry about putting something foreign into her system, I trust the doctor to tell me all of the facts. We have an excellent pediatrician that reviews each vaccine with us, what it's composed of, how long it has been in use, and if there are any known side effects. So Savannah was given an excellent bill of health, and she went home to a long morning nap - she was worn out!

For lunch we were able to spend time with Ashley and Alana (in from Pittsburgh for the week). Watching the two girls play together is such a treat now. They just look like little non-identical twins. They generally play well together, both have sharing issues though...no surprise since they are both currently "only" children! It was amusing to watch them solve their squabbles, and to see each with their own unique personality. It was also a great chance for Ashley and I to just hang out, relax, and chat. We both miss those days!

After her afternoon nap Savannah was scheduled to visit Grandma for a bit while I went over to WVU to teach my Engineering Economics class. Plans had to change though, Grandma's eye appointment ran much longer than expected, Grandpa had a dentist appointment, and Nana is in Buchannon watching Reese while Melinda is in Belize...so I decided Savannah would go with me until Carl could leave Mylan and come pick her up. I was met by 76 college students staring as I walked in with her on my hip. Most seemed to welcome the slight distraction, one even showed me a picture of his daughter, age 2. This week project presentations began, so I didn't have to technically teach with her on my hip, I just had to evaluate. She was an angel, just sat and watched it all go by...occasionally she would coo or point, and when each group finished the class would clap, and Savannah also joined in. While I don't think it would be wise to bring a toddler to class all the time, I do think it gave my students another view of who I am. They saw the reason I don't allow make-up exams/quizzes. I don't have time to give everyone a test when they want to take it. The students also saw that sometimes multi-tasking can take on a whole new meaning. Before class began, I definitely think they saw a whole new me - one that tickles and smiles and giggles about silly things. I am usually the talking head that teaches them a topic they probably will try to remember, but might not succeed in doing so. It is amazing how college kids can just "forget" that their professors have real lives outside of the classroom.

So it was quite the day for my little Savannah. One filled with doctors, friends, and college kids. When I was lying in bed, almost asleep, I began to think about how thankful I am for her. She is such a pleasure to watch grow and change. I love her more and more by the second. It doesn't seem possible to love her more than I already do, but tomorrow I will feel like I love her twice as much as I do today. I am just so amazingly blessed to have such a wonderful child. I can't imagine making room for another little one, but many moms have assured me - the next one will find the space in my heart. I will love each child with the same intensity - I have really been thinking about that next baby...I think I'll be ready after our trip to Disney after all.

No comments:

Post a Comment