Tuesday, May 10, 2011

Mother's Day Love

Is it me or does time just go incredibly fast when you want to savor the moment, but seem to slowly creep by when you are waiting for something big?!

Mother's Day was a wonderful day for me. Savannah woke up (as usual) around 6:30, so Carl got up with her. While I know he was doing his best to keep the house quiet, that's pretty hard to do with a toddler and a puppy. Around 8:00 Savannah seemed more urgently upset so I was about to get out of bed when Carl appeared. He quickly explained that Savannah was just mad because he couldn't carry her and all the other things upstairs so he was going back to get her.

Once everything was upstairs Savannah kept saying "Surprise Mommy! Surprise Mommy!". She gave me kisses and sat in bed with me. She had helped Carl make mini-blueberry muffins, and she kept insisting that she feed me...literally. I had to open my mouth and she'd put bites in. Silly girl!

I received two wonderful cards. The card from Savannah says "Thank You Mommy" several times and lists all the little things a toddler would be thankful for if they knew how to say it. Carl's card is Mickey & Minnie themed (so appropriate for us!) and he wrote a special message inside.

My gifts were wonderful too. I have a beautiful bouquet of tulips on my desk at work (which originally also had fresh-picked wildflowers also), Carl also picked out the Willow Tree Angel - Angel of Hope, and he got me a mom t-shirt. I've been wanting a t-shirt for a long time, and he has two dad shirts...so I had mentioned there was one I liked, and it magically appeared on Mother's Day. :0)

While we were sitting in bed I kissed Savannah on the cheek and she turned and looked at me and said "I love you Mommy." Even though I love all the time and thought Carl put into my gifts, the unprompted "I love you" is the best gift I could have asked for.

After church we went out to eat with our mothers, and Savannah gave them each framed, hand-painted masterpieces she created herself. It was supposed to be hand print sun and flowers, but as soon as her hand hit the paper she wanted to smear paint everywhere...so it's interpretive art!

During the meal Savannah didn't want to sit anywhere but my lap...again. We've been experiencing this issue recently and we don't really know what's up. She doesn't feel 100%, so I think some of that is related. It does make it hard to eat a warm meal though...on Mother's Day of all days I would have liked a warm meal...eaten at the same time as everyone else. I guess that's what being a mom is all about though.

When we got back to the house Carl and Savannah napped, so I cleaned the house. Then I cooked a homemade calzone. I know a lot of people probably think it's horrible that I cooked and cleaned on my day of honor...but honestly, I like to clean when no one is there to distract or bother me. I was able to get so much done and I enjoy cooking when I'm given the time and space to do it.

At dinner we moved all the deck furniture to the back deck again (it had been in the dining room due to the wind conditions prior to our trip to Alabama), and we blocked off the deck stairs (the gate is almost done - it will be up for the weekend! Wahoo!). We had dinner outside with Savannah and set up her sand & water table. It was so nice outside, and peaceful. It was also fun to just spend time as a family of three without a television on computer around...we just enjoyed the time outside.

While my Mother's Day was wonderful, I couldn't help but wonder if I would ever be a mother of more than one child. I am becoming impatient waiting for the timing to be right...and I know I need to be patient and trust God's time...but it's hard. This is when time seems to creep by...and then when I look at how much Savannah has grown in the last few months, I wish time would slow down.

More milestones this week: Carl proposed to me seven years ago today...and Omen (my first kitty) will be 10 tomorrow...

No comments:

Post a Comment