Friday, June 1, 2012

Life in the Fast Lane

It seems like as a working mom of two I have lost the time to blog! I miss the feeling of putting the proverbial pen to paper (or fingertips to keyboard as it is). A lot has happened in a month too. Family: We visited Alabama last week. It was so much fun to see my family and for all of them to meet Luke. I will cherish those memories for a long time. Savannah had SO much fun playing with her cousins. She cried when the youngest of the bunch had to say their goodbyes. Carl and I bonded more with my cousin and his wife...it is so nice to have family that has so much in common with us. We hope to see them again soon - we keep trying to convince them to come and visit us. Luke: In the past month Luke has grown and matured and hit milestones galore. He slept through the night for the first time in Alabama. I was so surprised! Then he finally got back to normal in Morgantown and slept last night from 9:30p to 6:20a - my sleep schedule too! I was able to get a solid night's rest in my own bed! Hooray! Luke also is giggling (in little bits still - I can't wait when he unleashes fits of giggles!). He now is technically mobile - he can roll belly to back and back to belly. He sits well with help...it won't be long before he gets to eat solid foods. I was thinking of considering waiting until 6 months...but I think he will be ready earlier. He already watches us eat with such intensity...and at dinner he is no longer content to sit in his bouncer. We are going to clean up the high chair and put him in it for meals now...so at least he can enjoy the family time with us. He is just changing into an infant too fast - he isn't a newborn anymore! Savannah: She thoroughly enjoyed her trip south...but she brought back some kind of nasty illness. She threw up Friday and Saturday nights (got me both times!) and has had a temperature of 102 since Tuesday night...with a spike to 104.6 on Wednesday night. Medicine will bring it down, so we just keep checking it and medicating it. She had to have blood drawn for testing...I was so worried that would be a terrible, terrible difficulty. I am SO proud of my little girl...she laid back on the table, and I laid kind of over her and kept my face close to her and just stroked her hair and kept her eyes away from the needle. I asked her all sorts of questions about our trip and what she did and her kitties at home....and she didn't cry! She looked scared, but she was such a champ!! So far all test results have come back normal...so we are just waiting. I hate waiting. I want my little girl healthy. Yesterday after her second trip to the doctor, she wanted to go to Grandma's to watch some TV, so I stayed home with Luke. It was so nice to have a little one-on-one time with him. I was able to cuddle up and nap with him. He won't be that tiny for long, and the cuddling will soon turn into being side-by-side instead of me holding him. I read a book to him last night as I rocked him...he is growing too fast!!! There are many changes on the horizon, with a lot of questions hanging in the air. I know God has a path for us. I have always trusted that. When I miscarried, it was so hard...but the other day as I was smiling down at Luke (the tiniest little love of my life!) it hit me. If I hadn't miscarried twice, I wouldn't have Luke. God is good. I am wear I am meant to be in my life. I love my kiddos and I love Carl. Carl and I will soon be celebrating 5 years of marriage...we've been through a lot. His most recent little..."mistake"...was that he didn't get me a single thing for Mother's Day. No card, no gift, no homemade drawing...nothing. He even was home with the kids the Friday before and could have at least had Savannah draw me something! His thoughtlessness hurt my feelings...especially since I gave birth to two kids without medication, I get thrown up on, I am Luke's sole source of food, I clean house, I cook meals, I work...a little bit of appreciation would have been nice. So to not receive a gift of any kind hurt. It made things tense between us for a while...we bickered more, loved less. People who weren't even moms got gifts and I didn't. I guess in the end Carl felt bad that my feelings were so hurt...because on Wednesday he finally got me a gift. An adorable little card, new perfume, and a spa package that includes a 50 minute massage, 50 minute facial, and 50 minute pedicure. (He could have just gotten me a card that said he loved and appreciated me and he was sorry for forgetting to honor me as the mother of his children...but that can be our secret!) I know every marriage has ups and downs...and I know I'll hurt his feelings (not intentionally of course) someday and it will be my turn to apologize...but life is still amazing. Our family is blessed. We are happy. We love each other. That is all that matters.

No comments:

Post a Comment