Tuesday, March 15, 2011

Breaking a House Rule and Hope

On Saturday night I broke one of the most serious house rules of all time. From the 3rd night in our home, Savannah has slept in the nursery, alone. She preferred it...and all three of us slept better. It has always been like that, even when Savannah moved over to her big girl room.

Saturday I broke that rule. I had already taken my medicine (the one that makes me sleepy) and it was a late bedtime for one reason or another. Savannah and I were reading books in her room...I laid down next to her and we just read books. When she saw that I was in her bed too (twin bed of course) she smiled and put her arm around my neck so that my head rested against her shoulder. Each time we'd finish a book she would get another and then want to lay right back in that position. After the 5th (we read the same 5 every night) book she said "Night Night" and we both just laid there. Every so often Savannah would touch my face and smile at me...but she was quiet and content. Within minutes we were both sound asleep.

Apparently I worried Carl a bit because I didn't come downstairs to watch TV so he went searching and at first didn't see me in bed with Savannah (he didn't want to turn on the light and wake her), and he started checking every single room until he eventually just turned lights on and found me sleeping. It was just so peaceful sleeping next to my little baby...well, little toddler. I haven't been able to cuddle with her while she has been asleep in months.

Around 12:30am I woke up uncomfortable and slipped out of her room and went to my own bed...but sharing those few hours with Savannah were so nice...even though I always said I'd never sleep in the same bed with my child...and I do have to admit, bedtimes have been a little bit more difficult since....so that is one treat that will happen very rarely...even though I'd love to be able to do it more often.

Now for Hope. Our house has needed Hope for a long time. We've had a rough couple of months, and we have a lot of love to share, but we just didn't have enough Hope to move on. Well, last night Carl and I got Hope. And Hope loves us and we love her.

I suppose I should explain...Hope is a 4 1/2 week old black lab puppy. She's the sweetest, kindest little puppy...and her name matches the hope she brings into our lives. She represents all kinds of things for the future. Savannah absolutely adores her...they have already become best buddies! Our oldest cat, Omen, surprised me by liking Hope. He stalked her for a while, but after seeing that she would do no harm he just pretty much ignores her. Cyrus completely ignores the fact that there's even a dog in the house. O'Malley is fine as long as Hope doesn't chase him around. Junebug has had the hardest time adjusting...they're basically the same size and June isn't sure of Hope yet...but in time I think they'll grow to be friends.

Typically I rescue my pets. A dog has become a different thing for us though...when you rescue a dog you don't always know what you're going to get. You can't predict temperament or how he/she will react to cats and children. Hope comes from the home of a friend. Both parents are owed by my friends, and both are wonderful with kids (including a one year old) and cats. We knew Hope should be similar. We know she will become quite the large dog...but we have three floors for her to roam as she grows. We both feel kind of inexperienced as puppy parents...but we'll learn, and she'll learn. She has become the little spark of Hope we needed.

No comments:

Post a Comment