Thursday, April 7, 2011

It's April 7th.

Today is Thursday, April 7, 2011. On this day two years ago I went to the hospital 38 weeks pregnant and with high blood pressure - only to be sent home a few hours later. Savannah made her arrival into this world three days later on April 10, 2009. I cannot believe my little, tiny baby girl is going to be two on Sunday.

Of course, after last year's freak-out over the "Happy Birthday" song I've planned a much smaller get together. Only our closest friends and family will attend, and the word "birthday" won't be uttered. (Even at the mention of it now she says "No!" and pouts...I guess we all hate aging!) I have planned a special day for her though.

The official theme this year is Minnie Mouse - it just was too perfect with her Halloween costume and our Disney trip. For decorations I've created over 50 "Minnie heads" that compromise a "Happy Birthday Savannah" banner and then others have photos on them of Savannah dressed as Minnie, Savannah in Disney, Savannah with Minnie is Disney, or of Minnie in Disney. These will decorate the walls. I've also create some of the poms-poms out of tissue paper to hang from the ceiling. In particular, one corner in the dining, I will have poms that will shape a Mickey head. I also will have streamers over the table, balloons in the corners and on her chair, and I hope to get a Minnie Mouse Air-Walker balloon. (She loves balloons, so this is part of her present from us.) I also found two cute Minnie posters at the Dollar Store (awesome find) to hang in the dining room. The chandelier will have a pink feather boa on it, and the table will be covered with a beautiful pink tablecloth.

I've also created a sort of centerpiece for the table. I ordered a Minnie Mouse keepsake scroll and framed it for the table. Next to this I'll have a framed picture of Savannah in her Minnie costume that we had taken at the photo session for her 2-year portraits. I also have this little stuffed Minnie Mouse that my mom got her in Disney that holds a balloon that says "It's my birthday". We also have a little Minnie Mouse car toy that will sit nicely on the table.

Her party is around lunch time, so the food will be a lighter fare. We plan to have meatballs, chips/dip, crackers/cheese spread, cupcakes, and then there's the special Minnie themed food. I'm making pasta salad, but the pasta is shaped like Mickey and Minnie as well as a birthday cake and present shaped pasta. The veggie pizza crust will be baked in the shape of Mickey's head. I'm doing sandwiches, so I plan to cut the colby cheese, bread, and bologna in the shape of Mickey. I'll serve turkey and ham also, but it's harder to cut those meats into shapes. (Carl and Patrick also found some adorable serving dishes that are themed!)

The goodies bags have all sorts of neat little touches of Mickey and Minnie and just neat little things. I just think it will be so very cute.

Since the weather looks like it might cooperate I'm planning to color some Easter eggs outside with the kids...I just think it will be fun for them and Easter is only two weeks away...and it will be nice to get outside after a long winter.

Every little detail of this party has been in my head for months...I literally picked the theme before our good friends' baby Brynna was born. My original guest list had Ashley, Alan, Alana, and Baby #2 on it....so this has been a party in the works since at least October! I have no idea how much I've spent on it...honestly I just buy stuff when I see it...so over time it probably cost some money, but we never noticed it because I bought it all over a six month period.

I'm excited to see Savannah enjoy her special day with her friends and family...and can't believe she's already become such a big girl. This is probably one of the last chances I will have to completely plan her birthday party...she'll want to pick the theme soon enough...each year just seems to go by faster than the last...

Check back Sunday for photos of the Minnie event of Savannah's year!!

No comments:

Post a Comment