Monday, April 11, 2011

My Darling is Now Officially Two

This weekend was such a whirlwind - but a delightful one.

Friday night was a cleaning mini-marathon before dinner with our good friends from Pittsburgh. We had a wonderful dinner, followed by a weekend visit.

On Saturday Ashley and I had a great break from being moms - the guys watched all the babies for us while we finished up party shopping and had a delicious lunch at Panera. It's been a while since I've had the chance to catch up with a friend over a warm meal!! Once we arrived home and had the girls settled, Ash and I took on all the prep work for Savannah's party. Ashley was a machine with all the chopping and mixing...and I felt so unorganized. It was so unlike me to be running from one task to another without finishing the first task. At one point I think I had things going for 4 different dishes. I felt almost like I was scattered, which is such an unusual feeling for me.

At dinner time we decided that we'd all go out to eat since the kitchen was pretty much over-taken with party food. Of course, Savannah arrived to the restuarant asleep...so then we got to a table, Savannah and Brynna were sleeping, but Alana wasn't happy. Then when Alana was happy, Savannah wasn't happy. So I took Savannah out, and Alana was happy, but then Brynna woke up and wasn't happy. During the entire meal at least one girl wasn't happy. We just took it all in stride - that's the life with toddlers!

After dinner I began the process of decorating a 6 inch cake and 24 cupcakes. Carl and Alan took over the job of hanging streamers and pom-pom puffs. Around 11pm we finally were finished with prep work, food, decorations...it had been such a long day!

Sunday was a beautiful day. I just can't use that word enough. It was beautiful in so many aspects. I was delighted to greet Savannah at her door with a big hug and kiss. At first she really seemed not happy about eating breakfast and I was pretty tired from the previous two days, so as a treat (for both of us!) I took her upstairs to have breakfast in our bed with me. We lounged for about 30 minutes eating dry cereal and watching Yo Gabba Gabba. It was a precious 30 minutes we were able to share away from the chaos and decorations. We just were able to enjoy being together. It was truly a beautiful way to start her 2nd birthday.

When my parents arrived I was trying to get some last minute things done, so my mom offered to give Savannah a bath and get her dressed. She loves dress up - so donning her Minnie costume was not an issue at all. She even wore the Minnie ears. When she was all dressed, she noticed Carl getting the back deck ready for guests and wanted to go outside. So I took the camera out and between Carl and I we were able to capture some very beautiful images.

The party began a little early - in the sense that the neighbor boys (who have recently become attached to Savannah) wanted her to come out to play. When they realized it was her birthday, they went home to pick out presents (from their toys), had their parents wrap them up, and then they brought them to her. It was such a sweet, sweet gesture...it makes me heart melt! It also strikes me that these were the first gifts from boys...that truly came from their hearts and own original idea. She's two and has already won over the opposite gender...Carl better start rehearsing the "dating speech" now!

The house was loud and slightly chaotic, but in a delightfully beautiful way. It was so...refreshing...to see so many happy children. Savannah enjoyed just about every single second of her day - even the cake was not a meltdown this year. After nightmares of last year's tears over cake, I decided that there would be no singing, and no mention of "birthday". We just told everyone to keep doing what they were doing - keep talking, don't stare. Then we presented Savannah with her cake and lit the candles. She never did blow them out, I had to, but she did stick her finger in the icing - repeatedly. She giggled over it and ended up eating way too much icing! It wasn't scary for her and everyone was able to enjoy it. She enjoyed opening presents too...it was just so fun.

After presents we moved the kids outside for egg coloring and outside play. Savannah ran around and drew with chalk and colored eggs and took a walk...she just loved it. The weather was amazingly beautiful - blue sky, 86 degrees, light breeze. It was just wonderful.

After everyone had gone and the house was cleaned Savannah finally napped. She was exhausted I'm sure. I know I was!

We ended the day with some outside family fun. Carl built her new tricyle and we went out for a walk with Hope. At first Savannah wasn't sure of her helmet, or of the trike...but by the end of the time outside she didn't want the helmet off and enjoyed the trike. Everyone else was gone and it was just time for the three of us to spend together - enjoying the beautiful day God gave us.

Just before bed Carl and I played with Savannah and her new Mrs. Potato Head. She took it over to her doll house and began playing...it almost broke my heart to realize she's old enough to use that house. I cleared everything off, pulled it out, and moved her monitor...she's old enough to play with dolls and pretend...she is not a baby anymore.

Savannah and I ended her big day just as it began - cuddling. We cuddled in the glider. I'd ask her about her day and she'd tell me about being outside and eating cake and the presents...she would smile and say it was fun. I felt so incredibly happy in those moments. My work for planning this party was something that she truly enjoyed. Last year I felt a lot of guilt about her party - fearing I had the party for myself and not for her. She didn't enjoy it. This year I feel none of that. She so obviously enjoyed her day - and everything turned out just as I had imagined in my mind. The neighbor boy summed it up best - "This party is really fun!".

So my darling is two...and I cuddled with her last night realizing that my life will have amazingly special days like that even if I don't have another child. God gave us such a beautiful, beautiful break from the harsh realities we've faced. It was truly, beautiful.

For a full recap of photos from the day, click here.

No comments:

Post a Comment