Monday, January 2, 2012

Pure, Unadulterated Joy

Over my break from work I've been checking things off my "To Do Before Baby Comes" list. I've almost accomplished everything - and really the things that are left aren't going to be deal-breakers if they don't get done.

One of my favorite things that I completed is the organizing of the nursery and packing bags. Savannah and I have cleaned up the nursery, gotten the diapers ready in their basket (I truly forgot just how small newborn diapers are!), and packed a diaper bag. Savannah was such a big help listing off all the things that would need to go in the bag, and storing each item in a special place. She loved helping. Then it was time to pack a travel bag for her (This bag will stay in Grandma's car so that when we head to the hospital, no matter where Grandma is, she has clothes for 4 days. Again, I know she lives in the same town, but if it's snowy we don't want Grandma having to trek out to our house in bad weather just for clothes!)

Savannah picked out her outfits, pajamas, socks, and shoes and helped put each item in the bag. Then she said we were all done, and she was so happy. She kept smiling and talking about her baby coming when it was ready. She gave me a big hug and said she wanted to help me pack my bag for the hospital too. She is so excited to be a big sister, and so far no jealousy has come into play (although I know eventually we'll see it). It was just such a special moment, sitting in her closet, packing her bag, talking with her about being a big sister and the trip to the hospital...and realizing that it really is happening...we really will be bringing another child into the world and she really will get to be a big sister and share all her love with a sibling. It is such a pure joy - one that is almost indescribable.

No comments:

Post a Comment