Wednesday, February 3, 2010

Obsessing Over Food

Three years ago I was obsessing over what foods I ate - I had a wedding dress to fit into!

One year ago I was obsessing over food in general, but particularly missing the things pregnant women can't have - "Dippy eggs", lunch meat, lots of fish.

And now instead of obsessing over food for myself I am obsessing over food for Savannah. She, of course, is oblivious to my concerns and thankfully she is such a trusting eater. I honestly believe she is a foody at heart. But this weekend at the store Carl and I are taking a giant leap - we aren't going to buy any jar baby food.

When we came home from the hospital it amazed Carl that I could feed our child - we didn't need to buy anything for her. It amazed me as well. For three months we were so confident feeding her. We knew she was getting all that she needed. Then we switched to formula - again an easy transition. I wasn't even nervous or worried about introducing stage 1 and 2 solids. Savannah made that a bit easier by enjoying every single food we gave her. I still haven't found a food she refuses, or even slightly dislikes. The little jars were even fun to shop for, and we always knew she was getting at least a meat, veggie, and fruit each day. Again, we knew she was getting all that she needed. The nerves have kicked in a bit as Savannah has transitioned to stage 3 solids and some finger foods, but only because of the ability for her to choke on it, I still know she's getting all the right nutrients.

So this weekend we are truly embracing the fears some parents have the instant they leave the hospital - are we providing the right nutrients for Savannah? It is up to us to find foods she likes (thank goodness she isn't picky!) and cook them for her. We have to make sure we keep a variety available. We have to make sure she gets her veggies and her fruits and her grains and her proteins...it is all a little worrisome for me. While the only true limitations the doctor has given us are to ban honey and peanut butter, there are some other considerations. We have to pick foods that are relatively easy and fast - when it's dinner time Savannah is not the picture of patience! We also have to find things that can be gummed to death by a little mouth with only two (she got her second yesterday) teeth. I also want to avoid the easy pitfalls of hot dogs and chicken nuggets. While I love these foods, I don't want to serve them every day.

To me it isn't just about feeding her, but starting eating habits that will last her entire life. She is a clean slate right now, she doesn't know about candy and cake. I don't want to hide veggies in foods, I want her to eat them with gusto as they are. I'm not opposed to adding veggies to things in order to add some nutrients, but I want her to learn to enjoy the flavors as they are. I also do want her to enjoy sweets, but in moderation.

As I venture out to find food options for my almost 10 month old (only 7 days left until the mark...) I have to also decide on the dinner rules. I've read a lot on the subject and have seen quite a range of table manners from children of all ages, and have come up with the following plan (of which may or may not work - if we are fortunate enough to have lesson plans as parents they are almost guaranteed to be changed by our children):

1. We eat dinner at the table.
2. We all eat the same thing. I am not, nor will I ever be, a short order cook.
3. The amount of dessert served is proportional to the amount of dinner eaten.
4. Absolutely no electronics at the table. This applies to all dinner tables.
5. We can leave the table whenever we want, but once dinner dishes are cleared off of the table, dinner is over. (For questions refer to rule #1.)

I don't want to appear to be a food-obsessed mom, but I also want to instill healthy habits in my children. I believe dinner time is when the family can come together and talk about the day. Without the rules outlined above that may not happen. While I know Savannah is a bit young to adhere to most of these rules, I want Carl and I (as well as others in our extended family) to start practicing them. It is Carl and I's job to be role models for Savannah. We are her educators, we are to teach her how to be healthy and try new foods. It is our job as parents to teach her.

This is my fear. How do I know I'm feeding her the right things? How do I know she is going to be healthy? How do I ensure the best for my daughter?

So if you hear of a crazed lady at the grocery store this weekend - examining nutrition label after nutritional label - you can laugh and know I must have found at least a few things to feed Savannah.

1 comment:

  1. Those are almost identical to our rules. And they have served us well.

    My theory has always been...if you set the standard very high while they are little...when the time comes to loosen the standard or adjust down...you have MUCH farther to go and it still resembles DECENT.

    It applies to clothes, rooms and food...probably several other things.

    I think you have a GREAT plan and setting an example seems to be the key to success.

    Also, when you almost always sit at the table for dinner then the one or few times you have dinner in the living room it makes a memory.

    ReplyDelete