Thursday, February 4, 2010

Present or No Present?

Not that I'm counting, but Savannah turns one in 64 days. I have been planning this party since she turned 6 months old. Of course, 4 months ago it was just fun little side activity when I had free time. Now I am in full-scale planning mode.

The theme is "Savannah in One-derland" based on Disney's Alice in Wonderland. I have planned a beautiful 3-tiered cake, along with an adorable smash cake for Savannah that says "Eat Me". I have planned several foods to serve, along with little sandwiches cut into the shapes of butterflies (see the scene in the movie about the "Bread and Butterflies"). The kitchen will be themed around the Queen of Hearts with cards strung across the top of the cabinets, giant playing cards covering some cabinet doors, and a house of cards (glued together) as a food centerpiece. The dining room will be the Mad Hatter space. Here we will have paper lanterns and teapots galore. Her cake will be front and center, along with her high chair...adorned with pink toule and the 4-10-9 of hearts playing cards. Outside there will be the Queen's Croquet Grounds with over-sized playing cards as the targets. I hope to paint the croquet mallets to look like flamingos...hopefully I have time! The white rabbit will lead the way (via paw prints) from the road to the front door, and Mome Raths will be under our tree in the front yard (which reminds me I need to put re-mulching on Carl's to-do list for the end of March...). And wouldn't it be nice for winter to have completely vacated by the 10th of April so we can open up the deck for guests?!

The basement will be a place for the older kiddies to watch Alice in Wonderland on the big screen (hooray for it being done in time!). This should keep some kids occupied for a bit. I also hope to have a coloring station set up for those who love to color.

So after all this planning I'm left in a pickle. Savannah is spoiled, thoroughly. She has enough toys to last her entire childhood already. While birthday presents are a part of birthday parties, are they necessary to the party? Do people want to get Savannah a 1st birthday gift? I am having her party to celebrate her first year, not really to collect more toys. But it is also a special time for Savannah and I will want to have some presents to take pictures of so when she looks back she sees her big celebration...so I am left in the aforementioned pickle. Do I ask for "No Presents Please"? or do I just hope everyone brings her clothes?

1 comment:

  1. hello again,
    one good tip [that has worked for my personal closet which seems to endlessly be expanding] that has been useful for childrens toys (according to my aunt with a 4 year old boy) is that for every new item in, one old item must go out. now, out doesn't necessarily mean donated to those who are without, but it can mean to be put up and away until another little poland baby might need it. we all know the joy of opening gifts on special occasions and what wonderful memories that has left us with, but preventing a child from being overly spoiled in today's society is extremely difficult.... i think it is wonderful this is "a pickle" you are taking a bite out of early. [apologies for the pun :) ]

    one last tip, for christmas or large holidays were multiple gifts are shared between persons, a homemade or crafted gift per person also cuts down on the being spoiled and reminds us to appreciate the thoughts and efforts of the giver, more so than the item itself.

    i'm sure you have already considered this, but i find these little tips to be quite helpful. happy snowed in day!

    briana

    ReplyDelete