Monday, February 1, 2010

You Can't Keep Them Young Forever

Whoever said "Time flies when you're having fun." must have been a parent. This weekend was extremely hard for me as a parent. Savannah did so much in the time span of 48 hours - it left me in pieces by bedtime Sunday night.

Saturday morning Savannah had her first BabySplash pool encounter. She looked downright adorable in her swimsuit, but she also looked a lot different than the little baby girl who came home from the hospital with us. She also loved the water - she was just so grown up about it all. I had to let go of my need to comfort her fears since she didn't have any. She didn't need me to reassure her, she just wanted to splash. I'm so thrilled that she loved the water, but already another "first" has passed us by.





We also noticed on Saturday that two more teeth are almost in - bringing her to a new total of 3 teeth soon. She is just becoming a toddler too fast! She eats almost all adult food now, only 1 jar of baby food a day. The rest of her diet is made up of what we eat. She won't be getting a bottle soon either. The process of weaning from the bottle will begin before we know it...she is growing too fast.

Sunday was another day that just confirmed her growth. She just began pulling up on everything in sight. She just climbs all over stuff now. She even was standing in her pack and play and shuffling to the side to gets things...she will be walking and running before we know it. At bath time on Sunday night she came crawling into the bathroom in her diaper, all ready for her bath. I flashed forward to a not-so-distant future when she'll come running into the bathroom for a bath...in the real tub without her little inflatable duck tub!

At bedtime last night she was exhausted. She'd only napped once all day (even though we were home the entire day) and she was just about tuckered out. She almost made it through her bedtime bottle, but fell asleep at the end of it. As she was sleeping in my arms I was just so struck with the thought that she is truly growing up and becoming a toddler. Since she'd fallen asleep in my arms I just turned her over and let her sleep on my chest. I miss those days of rocking in the glider in the nursery at 2am when she was a teeny baby. I just closed my eyes and rocked with her for a while...trying to keep that memory forever. And so that's where I sat last night, eyes closed, tears on my cheeks, rocking my baby...for she will only be that small for a little while longer. As a mom you must be thankful for each and every morsel of time you have with your baby...even the temper tantrums, the 2am wake up calls, the smelly diapers...be thankful and praise God for the miracle you've been given. It truly does pass by all too quickly.

1 comment:

  1. Yall are doing an awesome job!! And you are building memories that will get your through the not so precious [yet precious] teen years.

    Mike still sees chubby cheek babies and drooling toddlers when he looks at our 'babies'.

    The watching her emerging personality is such a breathtaking privilege.

    ReplyDelete